[ltp] ThinkPad 600E-RedHat 7.3 or 8.0???

Andrey Yurovsky linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:19:39 -0800

For what it's worth running a fairly standard RedHat install with the =
full Gnome environment seemed to be a bit more responsive in 7.3 than =
8.0, though gnome2's nautilus is faster and better than the old one.  If =
you're not going to run Gnome perhaps 8.0 will not perform worse than =
7.3, but I am not sure.  As far as video and modem I don't remember any =
differences (I never even bothered to try the sound on either).

	-Andrey

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org
[mailto:linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org]On Behalf Of Jeff
Pummill
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 7:01 AM
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Cc: jpummill@lynks.com
Subject: [ltp] ThinkPad 600E-RedHat 7.3 or 8.0???

Greetings,

My first post to this mailing list. I purchased a refurbished ThinkPad =
600E
with 128 Megs of ram, 10 gig drive, cd-rom, etc and am anxious to load
my RedHat software on it as soon as it arrives. Are there any major
configuration differences between RedHat 7.3 and 8.0 as far as video,
sound, modem, etc?=20

Also, for performance issues, has anyone tried using XFCE or the old
reliable FVWM2 desktop environments which take up less resources?
I certainly have no dillusions of running Quake III or Heavy Gear 2 on =
this
machine, but would like reasonably snappy response. Perhaps a kernel
recompile to eliminate some overhead?

Any tips, tricks, words of advice, etc would be greatly appreciated...

Great mailing list by the way. I've only been on two days, but have
enjoyed the flow of information thus far.

Regards,

Jeff Pummill
--=20