[ltp] dual-boot with RedHat-8.0

Greg Matheson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 13:47:49 +0800

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Richard Griffith wrote:

> Greg Matheson wrote:
> > What are my chances of being able to use the RedHat-8.0 installation
> > disks to resize my Windows partitions and come up with
> > a dual-boot Linux-Windows 98 Thinkpad A21e, without the need to
> > investigate other partitioning software?

> In a nutshell you use a tool called fips to split the windows partition, and
> use the now free space to install linux.

fips worked well, but I couldn't work out how RedHat's Disk Druid wanted me
to specify the mounts, so I went back to DOS and used its
fdisk to delete the new partition that fips created.

Then I was able to install Linux without problem. Before doing that however
I tried the IBM recovery program on the other partition to reinstall
Windows. I expected it to return the computer to ex-factory state. That is,
to give the Windows partition back all the free space that fips had taken away.
Interestinly enough, it didn't. Which was ideal for me.

I can imagine, however, someone who wanted to use the recovery program
to get rid of a Linux partition wouldn't have been very happy!!

I can't see why fips bothers to create a new DOS partition with the new
free space. Perhaps for the DOS people?

One problem I have now is the keyboard layout has changed. On the
Japanese A21e Windows layout, the '@' was over on the right where the
'[' normally is on keyboards, next to the Enter key. '[' was where ']'
normally is.

Now under Linux, the layout is back as it 'should' be. However, I got used
to the strange positions. The symbols on the keys also now don't
correspond to what I see on the screen.

Is this connected to ASCII/EBCDIC differences?

--
Greg Matheson
Taiwan