[ltp] fn key

mukesh agrawal linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:09:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> On the T40p, you need to run the following command in /etc/init.d
> before you start the X server in order to the Fn keypress to work, and
> so you don't get the kernel complaining about an unknown keyboard scan
> code every single time you hit the Fn, window-left and window-right
> key.  (By window-left and window-right and mean the keys that are to
> the left and right of the up arrow key, which have a picture of a
> window and a left- or right- facing triangle.)
>
>     # Set the thinkpad keycodes
>     /usr/bin/setkeycodes e063 125 e06a 126 e069 127

So I've done both that, and the xmodmap command, but the Fn key still
doesn't work as a modifier. xev shows that the server is emitting the
Control_L keysym, but not emitting anything for the key that I press while
holding down Fn.

E.g. if I hit Control-c, then I get four events:
	1. KeyPress Control_L
	2. KeyPress c
	3. KeyRelease c
	4. KeyRelease Control_L

But if I hit Fn-c (having run the xmodmap command, and setkeycodes), I
only get two events (1 & 4 from the list above).

Is there a workaround for this? (FWIW, this is a T40 with 2.4.21-ac2 and
XFree 4.3.)

Also, any way to make use of the window-left/window-right keys (in
Windows, these are the forward and back buttons in the web browser)?

Thanks!