[ltp] help --size of my program too large

George Jiang linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 01 Jul 2003 12:56:28 -0600

Hi ,  sorry to put this message here. But I know there are a lot of experts
on Linux here, and I don't know other pertinent linux newsletters. Thanks.

--- Steps ---
During my research I have to use a Fortran program for scientific
computation.
It deals with a large model.
first, I use "f77 aa.f -o aa.exe" to compile it;
second, I use "size aa.exe" to view the size of the exe file;
third, I use "./aa.exe" to run the program.

--- Problem ---
When the size is larger than 1.0 G, I got the message "Segmentation fault
(cor
e dumped)"  when I run "./aa.exe";
Then I adjusted the model size, and redo step1,2,3. This time the program
runs
well.

--- Question ---
My computer has 1.5G memory; does anyone know how to fix this problem so
that I can run the program with a larger model (my research requires me to
run a large model)?  such a
s modify the configuration or settings of the Linux system... ( red hat
linux 8.0
)?
( I've thought about MPI; But it's not easy to modify the program for
parralel
computing, so I want to find another solution)

Thanks a lot!!
   George Jiang