[ltp] Linux IRDA drivers for the X30

Jan Frey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 22:40:22 +0200

On Tuesday 01 July 2003 21:22, Tino Keitel wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 14:46:31 +0200, Tino Keitel wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 17:37:06 +0200, Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > I have an X30, the 2672, manufactured 03/03. The kernel irda
> > > drivers (2.4.20) do not appear to detect the irda hardware at
> > > findchip.
> > >
> > > I noticed somebody mentioned that the irda subsystem may need to be
> > > enabled first, and that the tpctl can do this, but afact, this only
> > > works with the superio chip, which is not present in my model.
> > >
> > > Any pointers would be great.
> > >
> > > Karl T
> >
> > You should be able to use the IrDA port in SIR (Serial InfraRed, max.
> > 115kbit/s) mode using the IrTTY or IrPort kernel driver, like
> > described at
> > <http://www-hft.ee.tu-berlin.de/~strauman/irda-tiny-howto.html>. A
> > few weeks ago, I tried to use the FIR (max. 4 mbit/s) mode on my A30.
> > I was able to load the nsc-ircc module after removing some checks in
> > the hardware detection code. However, I could not test the IrDA
> > function, but I will try to do that this week with my girlfrieds
> > ThinkPad as a second IrDA device and let you know about the results
> > and code changes.
>
> Hum, I got the nsc-ircc.o module to load successfully (with a few
> hacks), it detected the IBM IrDA hardware, but there was no real IrDA
> traffic in the air. Using SIR with irtty it worked. Anybody out there
> who had more luck with IrDA (FIR mode using the nsc-ircc driver) on the
> A30?
>
> Regards,
> Tino

Hi,

actually I wrote an updated driver for this NSC chip, but my latest
developments are some time ago... Meanwhile the IrDA module maintainer
sent me an update of my update; maybe support improved. My latest status
was a working FIR driver, but I did not make it working faster than 115kB/s
with my IrDA printer. Might be a problem of interoperability between the
devices but more likely the driver is still not working correctly.

BR
Jan Frey

--
Jan Frey