[ltp] Purchasing New Laptop

Andrew Biggadike linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
03 Jul 2003 00:21:27 -0400

Most of you folks with T40 laptops seem to have the T40p.  I am
currently looking into getting a T40 and, while the T40p models have
some nicer features, they don't seem to be worth the extra cost.
Depending on which specific models, the price difference seems to be
about $700 to jump up to the T40p.

>From what I can gather, the main differences end up being:
o 1.6 Pentium-M rather than lesser GHz
o 1400x1050 resolution rather than 1024x768
o ATI FireGL 9000 (64mb) rather than Mobility Radeon 7000 (32mb)
o Gigabit Ethernet capable
o 9-cell battery rather than 6-cell
o IBM a/b card rather than INTEL b card (and neither is Linux-friendly
at the moment)

Do these improvements really warrant the extra cost?

Any comments on why someone chose the T40p over the T40 (or vice versa),
and their resulting experience, are much appreciated.  Thanks,

Andrew