[ltp] My hard drive is read-only!!

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 03 Jul 2003 01:16:06 -0400

I have an unfortunate problem that came up today with my T40.  My
computer went into standby, and after coming out of it, my hard drive is
read only.  I can't boot into any OS on the hard drive, which includes
slackware, redhat, and windows XP.  The hard drive passes all the
PC-Doctor and Hitachi Drive Fitness Tests, because all those are read
only.  So everything says my drivs is OK, but I can't write to it.  I
can boot linux with RUNT, or Knoppix and I can mount most of my
partitions, and read files.  I just can't write to them.  Or I can write
a file, but after an unmount/remount it's gone because it was never
really there.  The one partition I can't mount at all is slackware's
root partition which is reiserfs.  I'm not sure why I can't mount it
unless it really has to write to the drive, even if mounted read-only.
Anyone have any ideas on that?  Anyone know why I can't write to my hard
drive!?!  I wonder if it's the drive or the controller.  I'll get an
adapter tomorrow and try the drive in my desktop I guess.  Has anyone
else had problems like this?

:(
Joel