[ltp] Purchasing New Laptop

Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:48:54 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Steve Barr wrote:

> Andrew Biggadike wrote:
> > Most of you folks with T40 laptops seem to have the T40p.  I am
> > currently looking into getting a T40 and, while the T40p models have
> > some nicer features, they don't seem to be worth the extra cost.
>
> I don't claim to understand the selection of models, but I think
> it boils down to:
> 512mb vs 256mb
> 7200RPM 60gb drive (new T40p models 2373-G3U and -G5U)
> > o ATI FireGL 9000 (64mb) rather than Mobility Radeon 7000 (32mb)
> > o 9-cell battery rather than 6-cell

Prospective T40 buyer here, and I'm a little confused by this.  At
least in the UK, it looks like you can get a T40 with:

1400x1050
9-cell battery
512MB standard RAM
IBM Combo 802.11a/b (or the Intel one)
Bluetooth
80GB drive
Radeon Mobility 9000
Gb ethernet

Ref:
http://www5.pc.ibm.com/uk/products.nsf/$wwwPartNumLookup/_TC192UK?OpenDocument

This led me to believe that the only real standard difference between the
T40 and the T40p was the graphics card, and possibly the current
availability of a faster 60GB disk?

Is there any other difference I should know about before going for
the T40 rather than T40p?  One of the links kindly given on the list
indicated the T40p had a bluetooth activity light, but again this
little difference might not be a T40/p variation, but a variation
between models shipped with/without bluetooth?  I'd like to know if
there's any other body differences between the two, as I was only
really going to a plain T40 because I don't need super graphics, and
the Radeon Mobility seemed more straightforward right now in Linux?

Also: the bluetooth is listed with the IBM "combo" card: does the
"combo" refer to the the a/b variants of 802.11, or is bluetooth
functionality on the card itself.  I ask because I might ask for my
machine to be shipped with the Cisco card, depending on the valiant
efforts of the Atheros people, and don't want to lose bluetooth if
I go that way.