[ltp] RH9 install hangs on Thinkpad A30p

j_f_clark linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:57:30 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Frey" <jfrey@gmx.de>
To: <linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org>

Hi,

> >I tried to update my Thinkpad A30p from Redhat 7.3
> >to Redhat 9.
> >Unfortunately installation (booted from CD-Rom)
> >hangs with a black screen. :-(
> >The last line printed is "running /sbin/loader".
> >I tried text/graphical install, pci, usb, ide
> >kernel options... with no effect.
> >

> Jan:
> Are you trying to actually update or are you doing a fresh install?

Actually I'd like Redhat9 Setup to format my ext fs, but an update
would also be ok. Anyway, setup doesn't even reach the point to decide..
And the troubles I ran into state that I was absolutely right in _not_
erasing the partition....
(So I'm having my old installation running at least.)

Jan

--
Jan Frey
jfrey@gmx.de

Jan:
I didn't follow your original message correctly.  I just updated to RH9 on
one of my desktops -- i.e. I kept the same directories but formatted them
and did a fresh install.  My computer hung an inordinately long time on the
running /sbin/loader line.  It took another long period to get past the
"running Anaconda" line.  Further down the road, it stopped accepting
keystrokes.  When I was unable to enter a root password, I rebooted and did
a text install.

The whole process took me 4 tries.  After the first install, the boot loader
(LILO) was not in the MBR and I went straight to Windows.  The boot disk
that was generated during the first install didn't work either.  On the
fourth try, I used the text install and avoided making any changes to the
recommended install packages.  RH9 runs okay but I haven't fully configured
and checked out the install.

Here are my suggestions: a) This may be way out line since I don't know how
long you have waited for the "/sbin/loader" to complete.  But when you see
that line come up on your screen, go have lunch, practice Yang Tai Chi long
form, and/or your favorite Hatha Yoga routines.  If that doesn't work, you
have a real problem.
b) Try another distribution.  I bet if you tried to re-install RH8 you would
have not problem.  The most successful RH releases were 5.2, 6.2 and 7.2.
Hopefully, 9.2 will be out soon.

Joe Clark