[ltp] Purchasing New Laptop

Pam Huntley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 15:14:46 -0400

>From what I can gather, the main differences end up being:
>o 1.6 Pentium-M rather than lesser GHz
>o 1400x1050 resolution rather than 1024x768
>o ATI FireGL 9000 (64mb) rather than Mobility Radeon 7000 (32mb)
>o Gigabit Ethernet capable
>o 9-cell battery rather than 6-cell
>o IBM a/b card rather than INTEL b card (and neither is Linux-friendly
>at the moment)
>
>Do these improvements really warrant the extra cost?

Well, the "p" does stand for performance.... you put all of the above
together and you really do get a more powerful machine....  Personally, if
I had to buy anything it would be the T40p.  It is beautiful (very thin and
light) and powerful (64MB video mmmmmmm....).

I think the only to things unique to the "p" are the 64MB video card and
the a/b wireless card.  Everything else I think is available in either as
either part of a T40 base model or as an option for the T40.

And also worthy of noting is you can get the Cisco wireless card as an
option for wireless-ready T40's (and not for the T40p due to FCC
regulations).  Cisco does provide a wireless driver for Linux.

HTH,

Pam