[ltp] My hard drive is read-only!!

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 03 Jul 2003 15:57:47 -0400

Pam Huntley wrote:

>>Anyone know why I can't write to my hard
>>drive!?!  I wonder if it's the drive or the controller.
>

> That's really odd.
>
> Does it show up mounted as read-only, or it is supposedly mounting as
> usual?
>
> Have you run fsck on the partitions?
>
> Pam

Well, NTFS, I never mount writeable anyway.  My fat32 and ext3 partition
I can mount either way.  If I mount it writeable and write a file to it,
after an unmount and remount it's gone.  It never really got written.  I
can't mount my reiserfs partition at all since even a ro partition needs
to be able to write something.  I don't really understand reiserfs, but
apparently that's true.  fsck tests fine, badblocks comes up blank.  PC
doctor and Hitachi Drive Fitness Tools test fine because none of those
write to the drive.  I tried the drive in a different computer and it
does the same thing, so it's definitely a problem with the drive.

Joel