[ltp] Purchasing New Laptop

Theodore Ts'o linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 17:14:47 -0400

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 04:07:45PM -0400, Pam Huntley wrote:

> Well, in all the testing I did, if I took out the a/b card, and tried to
> put the Cisco card in, I got the BIOS error message.  I know that is the
> way it's supposed to function (if they buy it in the US, at least).   I
> haven't had one where I added in the regular card without taking out an a/b
> card first.

I have a T40p, 2373-G1U, which originally had an 802.11a/b card (the
phillips one), and I put in the the Cisco mpi350 card, and it worked
just fine.  According to the hardware service manual for the T40p,
there are 3 Mini PCI adapters for which it gives installation
instructions (and presumably are certified for use with the T40/T40p):

	Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B ("Centrino")
	Cisco Aironet Wireless 802.11b (aka mpi350)
	IBM Dual-Band 11 a/b WiFi Wireless (Phillips)

Beyond that, all I can say is, "it worked for me".  What makes you
think that the Cisco card isn't supposed to work if you install it
yourself in a machine that previously had the 802.11a/b card?

						- Ted