[ltp] Re: Purchasing New Laptop (Linux/Laptop/Thinkpad List)

Sukhjeet Batth linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
04 Jul 2003 04:13:39 -0700

Hello Derek,

Thank you for your great advice.  I ended up leaning more towards the
IBM Thinkpad T40p.  However, because I am determined to get an internal
DVD writer, I will have to wait until IBM offers that solution.

In the meantime, I began looking elsewhere.  I have found some very
interesting alternate routes.  I was considering the Toshiba Dynabook C8
available here in the USA through www.dynamism.com.  This is everything
I wanted in a smaller package (it even has the SD card, Firewire, and
Bluetooth that were on my wish list).

I also came across a company by the name of Emperor Linux
(www.emperorlinux.com)  that seems to be very skilled in offering
Linux/Laptop solutions.  They are able to do custom installs and they
might be good to get me started with the Dynabook C8.  I am pretty new
to Linux, but I am learning how to use it pretty quickly (I got
O'Reilly's "Running Linux").  Alternatively, I could buy straight from
Dynamism and then send it to Linux Certified
(http://linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-services.html).

Since your original advice was very helpful, what do you recommend I do
with this new information in mind?

Thank you,
Sukhjeet Batth