[ltp] linux web publishing tool ??

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 10:23:08 -0400

On Friday 04 July 2003 10:07 am, Kim Hardy wrote:
> > (I know I am a heathen because I refuse to be
> >
> >brainwashed into believing VI/VIM is anything but a flaming piece of
>
> kaka,
>
> >and just to offend the rest of that crowd EMACS is a bloated pig ;o)).
>
> Autsch! Vi/VIM is ok but when you're working on a shell it can get a bit
> sluggish.
> I prefer nano these days. I don't use KDE as its inherently bloatware!
> Fluxbox or OpenBox do the job nicely and xediting is always done in a
> transparent aterm layed over a nice tasteful background picture in nano.

Well, I use nano when I am working in text mode too. Its the best thing going
as far as pure text mode editors.

Honestly, I just cannot tolerate VI, its interface is appalingly crude. You
have no idea what the next keystroke is going to do, maybe your in insert
mode, maybe your not... It just violates every decent convention for human
factors in software engineering. The design made sense when you were editing
on TTYs and very slow half-duplex serial consoles, but its just plain buggery
today, and building on top of it hasn't really made it better, just more
complicated IMHO.

> :)
>
> I agree entirely oon EMACS. Altho I do use it on my Amiga 1200 since its
> practically an OS in itself. Hehe.
>
> Kim.

Still got a 1200 eh? hehe. There are stacks and stacks of 2000 series machines
around still too. Haven't bothered to put one together in ages, but they were
the best machines of their age, thats for sure! Frikin Alexander Haig!

--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain