[ltp] Debian, laptop kernel, and dependencies

Steve K linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 23:24:16 -0400

Hey folks --

Not exactly a thinkpad related question, but I am using 2.4.21 + the
linux-laptop patches on my Debian unstable t40p.  The problem I've run into
is that I'm trying to use apt-get to install alsa, but the alsa-modules
package depends on the kernel-image package...

  alsa-modules-2.4.21: Depends: kernel-image-2.4.21 but it is not installable

What is the proper way to handle this?  I suppose there should be a way to
tell the package system that I have the kernel-image package installed, or a
way to create a fake kernel-image package and install it (I think I did this
when I installed the Sun Java SDK).

Thanks for any help!

cheers,
-steve