[ltp] linux web publishing tool ??

Buchan Milne linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 07 Jul 2003 12:59:58 +0200

Tod Harter wrote:

> There are 2 sides to the story, but compare the way nano works vs the
way vi
> works. I bet 1 weeks wages that you can put virtually anyone that can
type in
> front of nano and they can figure it out in 5 minutes flat.

Sure, but if I help someone with vi for 5 minutes, they will save so
much time using it over nano, the 5 minutes will pay itself back in
under an half an hour of use.

> Conversely you
> need to be some sort of rocket scientist to figure out vi.

Maybe, but you don't need to figure out vi to be able to use it. The
fact that you can figure out nano just shows how limited it is. I
haven't figured out my HP48GX yet (I probably know it better than more
than 90% of other HP48 users, but no-one knows everything about it),
even though I have had it for over 7 6 years, but that doesn't mean it
is less useful than my sharp calculator (which is much easier to add and
subtract on, but can't do matrices bigger than 3x3).

> That to me is the
> difference between good UI and bad UI. Its not like nano is harder to use
> either once you're expert with it. It holds up perfectly well against vi.

Who really wants a UI on a text editor, when you can rather have syntax
highlighting, indenting, semi-IDE support, multiple file support, code
folding etc etc (which you don't get in any other console text editor
with a nice UI). You can get over a UI in a few minutes, but you can't
get the features missing in most other editors at all.

> Honestly I just mostly think vi is antique. It was a first pass at
designing
> a screen based editor and it lived in a world with constraints that
most of
> us don't experience anymore (limited keystroke environments). Even in
that
> environment I suspect better designs are possible.

But the advantages in spending a few minutes learning to use the limited
interface but the abundance of features is well worth it.

For HTML, I use either Quanta or vi, for C/C++ development, either
kdevelop or vi, for config files, only vi, for plain text files either
kate or vi, for viewing diffs, either kompare or vi. I wouldn't want to
use nano for any of those (except maybe plain text files).

Of course, I prefer vim-enhanced, otherwise if you use vim-minimal, you
don't really get the features you could have, and only get the pain of
learning vi.

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202

Please click on http://www.cae.co.za/disclaimer.htm to read our
e-mail disclaimer or send an e-mail to info@cae.co.za for a copy.