[ltp] T40 IRQ mappings

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:05:04 -0400

I was working on mapping out the IRQ's from the BIOS, and here's what
I've come up with.  What I don't have is any cardbus cards, so I don't
know what IRQ's they would use.  If anyone has info on this, I'd be
interested.

A	USB Hub 1
	AGP graphics
	cardbus controller 1
	gigabit ethernet

B	SMBus
	AC'97 Audio
	Modem
	Cardbus controller 2

C	USB Hub 3
	IDE Interface 00:1f.1 (weird... see below)
	Mini-PCI card

D	USB Hub 2

E	Unused

F	Unused

G	Unused

H	USB EHCI Controller

Device 00:1f.1 actually shows up on IRQ 255 if you run lspci -vb, which
I don't really understand, but lspci -v shows it on IRQ C, whatever that
is.  I also notice that in knoppix, it says that device cannot be used
because of a resource conflict.

I'm curious which IRQ's cardbus cards use, but I don't have any to test
with.  If they use E,F, or G, that might make them more important.  As
it stands, I'm not sure why you should just disable them.  Cardbus can't
use all 3 anyway.  In any case, it seems most important to get A and B
on their own interrupt.  I used 9 and 5 respectively.  I put C on 10 for
the minipci card, and D through H is on 11, which is only used by USB.
I'm guessing any cardbus cards would use 11, but I'm not sure.

Windows still wants to put everything on the same IRQ.  It choses 9 I
think, except for the SMBus, which it put on 5.  Also windows thinks
that serial and IR are there even though I disabled them in the bios.
So apparently the BIOS has very little effect on windows, but for linux
it seems like a good idea to get A, B, and C on their own interrupt.

Just rambling.  Comments are welcome.

Joel