[ltp] G40 Series Internal Ethernet Adapter

Frederic Herman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:37:43 -0600

Pam Huntley wrote:

>>I just got an IBM G40 seried laptop, and installed RedHat 9.0 on it.
>>The internal ethernet controller shows up in /proc/pci, but it is
>>not recognized as an ethernet controller.  Could I be missing a driver?
>>Anyone have any luck getting the ethernet card on this seried laptop to
>>work with RedHat?
>>

>Broadcom has drivers for it on their website... broadcom.com, look for the
>bcm570x driver.
>
>Please let me know if you have any trouble with it...
>
>Pam

I got the bcm570 driver and built it.  When I try to load it with
insmod, it fails to load with:

Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-18.9/kernel/drivers/net/bcm5700.o
/lib/modules/2.4.20-18.9/kernel/drivers/net/bcm5700.o: init_module: No
such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

Any ideas?

TIA

Fred