[ltp] Xwindows on a T23

Jeff Eidsness linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:36:27 -0700

=09Hello all. I posted a prob some weeks ago with one response.=
 Things were looking mighty dismal. i think i have figured out=
 what the real problem is, but still don't know how to go about=
 fixing it.

=09Here is a quick recap:

=09I have a T23 dual booting Debian woody and windows 2000sp3.

=09When i'm running Xwindows, and i close the lid, the external=
 monitor seems to die. The LEDs blink on the monitor like when i=
 set the display to some insane resolution.

=09The same thing happens when i use fn-f7 to turn the lcd off.=
 THis behavious seems to be the same whether i use the port=
 replicator or not.

=09When i am using the linux console, and i close the lcd screen,=
 the video signal 'changes'. With the lid closed, it looks like a=
 regular 24 column screen, when it's open the text is a bit=
 smaller and there is a 3/8" gap between the edge of the monitor=
 and the edge of where the text stops on all sides.

=09It appears there is another video adapter in use when the LCD is=
 shut off.

=09I can't find anything about this behaviour from IBMs site (or=
 anything about how i might handle this other adapter in X).

=092000 seems to handle it just fine whether the screen is open or=
 not. =09
=09
=09Does anyone know how i can make X cooperate with my poor=
 external monitor?

=09Thanks in advance :)

--
Jeff Eidsness - CIO / Site manager