[ltp] Re: Nearing nirvana with a T40P

Neil Weisenfeld linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
14 Jul 2003 11:28:35 -0400

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 10:36, John Goerzen wrote:
> Neil Weisenfeld <weisen+ltp@ai.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > Well, stumbling onto the TPB thinkpad buttons program added another nice
> > feature to life under Linux w/ my T40P and the impending Atheros driver
> > makes life peachy.
>
> Is the Atheros driver really usable?  Where can I find it?  (The only
> drivers I've seen to date are able to "toggle the LEDs")

The Atheros driver *should* be usable, but I don't know of anyone who
has tested it successfully yet on a Thinkpad.  There's currently a bug
that prevents it from recognizing the 802.11b, rather than a,
capabilities of the card.  Apparently a fix for that should be posted
sometime this week.  The 7/3 release still has this bug.  Also, some
have complained that the driver is not correctly powering on the card
when in the T40, however what's really going on here is not yet clear
(just the light off, just reporting zero transmit power, or really no
output from the card).

See http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi

Regards,
Neil

p.s. -- thanks to everyone on this list for their answers to this
thread.... I'm still wading through it all and doing experiments.
Suspend/resume seems to be a moving target.  It now requires PCMCIA
cards to be shut down and only works with "apm -s" (where previously it
had worked fine with Fn-F4.  Sigh.  Clearly I changed *something*.