[ltp] XFree86 locking and crashing on T40 with RedHat 9.0

otisg linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:39:26 -0400

Hello,

I have a T40 (one of those Centrino TPs) with RedHat 9.0 on it
(not sure what the exact kernel version is, I am not on that
machine now, but it's one of the 2.4 kernels, maybe 2.4-18 or
-19 or some such).

I have 2 big problems with Linux on this machine.

1. X sometimes locks up.  I can't even ALT-Backspace out of
XFree86.  I have to reboot the whole machine.  This seems to
happen randomly.
I have noticed that the little CAPS LOCK status light at the
bottom of the LCD starts blinking every time X locks up like
this.

2. X sometimes just crashes randomly.  This sucks, but at least
that doesn't require a reboot.  I can't check which version of
XFree86 this is, but it s whichever version ships with RH 9.0.

Has anyone seen this on their T40s or similar ThinkPads?
Has anyone been able to solve these problems?

I use this TP for work, and this is decreasing my productivity,
and is very annoying, as you can imagine. :(

Thank you,
Otis

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more