[ltp] hardrive suspend does not work

Martin Gramatke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:50:19 +0200

Hi,

when I try to put my harddrive into suspend mode with the command 'hdparm -y
/dev/hda' it stays in that mode for only 5 sometimes up to 30 seconds but
not longer.

I tried to reduce my system by not starting X, switching WLAN (linux-wlan-ng
drivers) off, console only, this seems to extend the spin down time a bit,
but it does not really solve the problem, around 30 seconds is the maximum.

I have debian and gentoo installed on this notebook, a thinkpad x24 by the
way. Both independent, and both suffer from a not working HD suspend.
Gentoo has reiserfs and debian an ext3 file system. noatime is already set
in /etc/fstab.

Something seems to access the drive more or less frequently, but I am unable
to find out what it is. Any hints?

Does your notebook suspend the harddrive for more than a minute?

mg