[ltp] In search of the perfect laptop combination

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:00:35 -0400

Yeah, but you PAY for that Apple Logo, and dearly! They have nice stuff, but
that little sticker raises the price by 40% or so. For that money I want that
sticker to do something, like release some Anthrax the next time some dink
tries to lift my machine. ;o).

OSX is a pretty nice OS, but don't be fooled into thinking that 'under the
hood lives BSD Unix' uh-uh. Try compiling a few apps and you will quickly
learn that Apple seriously hacked it up, and annoyingly the things they did
to it are totally non-standard, yet there were perfectly good standard ways
they could have achieved the same results. Its typical Apple. "We refuse to
comply with standards, they're for lame people." bah!

Run OSX if you would run Windows and want a nicer OS. If you want a system to
do dev work, you like/want a Unix style OS, or you need compatibility with
one then consider carefully, OSX might fit your needs and it might be no
closer to meeting them than WinXP.