[ltp] In search of the perfect laptop combination

Neil Weisenfeld linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
18 Jul 2003 01:47:36 -0400

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 00:15, Andrew Biggadike wrote:

> Approximately how much did you pay?  That card seems to be much more
> expensive than the "generic" cards out there (around $100 compared to
> $30-$50).

The one of these that crashes my machine was $26 :-).

> This is disappointing.  I had assumed that 6-pin ports meant powered,
> but (as you said) this doesn't seem to be the case with PCMCIA cards.
> The IEEE 1394 port on my previous laptop was 4-pin and unpowered, so I'm
> used to it.  The "solutions" to provide power seem like more trouble
> than they're worth.
>
> Thanks a lot for the information.
>
> Andrew

Yeah.  I have a firewire 2.5" enclosure that has an adapter to take
power from the keyboard or mouse port.  Not helpful on the T40p ;-).

Regards,
Neil