[ltp] Linux (Red Hat 9.0) on T40p (2373-G1G to be exact)

Andrew Biggadike linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
18 Jul 2003 10:04:43 -0400

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 06:49, honey@gneek.com wrote:
> Klaus Weidner refers on his page at
> http://www.w-m-p.com/linux-on-t40.html to the possibility of stopping
> the NTFS conversion of the preinstalled FAT32 Windows partition
> before first boot as a way of keeping Windows as FAT32 (not his
> suggestion, but he passes this on from someone else), which then
> seemingly allows you to hibernate straight to the Windows FAT32
> partition - or am I reading this wrong?  What I seem to be reading on
> this list is that hibernation/suspend is at least tricky on these
> machines right now, and that hibernating this way might be the best
> bet?  I want to make sure I know whether I want to inhibit the NTFS
> conversion/and/or create an extra partition for hibernation when I
> first switch the machine on (or boot from Knoppix).  A really clear
> suggestion as the best way to go when I turn the machine on would be
> helpful from someone!

Just FYI: On my system the mentioned technique of renaming convert.exe
did not prevent the NTFS conversion.  I renamed cvtarea.tmp (at
/mnt/hda1) and that caused an error which prevented the conversion.

I would also look for the file /mnt/hda1/ibmwork/dowork2/ckd015a.cmd; on
my system this is the file that contains the command that actually
performs the ntfs conversion.  If you rename it (to ckd015a.dun, since
that's what the IBM scripts will rename it to after it is run once),
then it should never be run and, thus, the conversion won't be
attempted.  See this for a more complete explanation:
http://www.biggadike.org/~andrew/t40.html.  (In time I hope to get all
my written notes onto that page.)  Let me know if this works for you..

I haven't messed with the hibernation or suspend stuff yet though.

Andrew