[ltp] In search of the perfect laptop combination

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
18 Jul 2003 12:49:40 -0400

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 12:22, Rob Mayoff wrote:
>  +---------- On Jul 18, Bret Comstock Waldow said:
> | A suggestion.  Whatever you buy, also buy another identical HD and a
> | carrier to mount it in the bay (most machines have removeable bays these
> | days).
>
> A 3.5" hard drive in a firewire enclosure is generally cheaper per byte,
> and hot-pluggable. (Assuming firewire doesn't crash your system. I've
> been using it quite successfully.)

My T21 doesn't have firewire built in, but this should certainly work,
or perhaps similar with an external USB drive.  Some HD upgrade kits
I've seen come with a PCMCIA card, and allow you to mount the "old"
drive in the enclosure as a backup once you've made the upgrade.  No
reason to think two identical drives wouldn't work as well.

Cheers,
Bret
bwaldow at alum.mit.edu