[ltp] IRQ mess with cardbus wlan card

Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:26:05 +0200

Hi folks,

I don't know if this is ThinkPad specific, but all other suggestions I
was told or that I found in google had failed.

I try to use a DLink DWL G650 802.11g WLAN card (54 mbit/s). I use the
madwifi driver for this. It consists of a module ath_pci and some other
helper modules.

When I use the card, it will share IRQ 10 with all the other PCI
hardware  exept for the IDE stuff. However, I will see an increasing
nummber in the ERR: line of /proc/interrupts as soon as I use the WLAN
card. Sometimes the machine will freeze untill I remove the card.

I read in the archives that an exclude irq <unwanted IRQ> in
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts should help, but the card still uses IRQ 10. It
is also not handled by the cardmgr, I have to load the modules using
modprobe or hotplug.

I managed to tweak the BIOS settings so the card will use IRQ 9 and
only shares it with one of the Cardbus bridges, but I still got the
freezes, so I reverted those changes in the BIOS settings.

Can anybody give me an advice if it's safe for Cardbus cards to share
its IRQ with other devices, or has a good idea how I can escape from
the steady freezes?

Regards,
Tino