[ltp] R Series

Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:49:47 -0400

Hi. I'm going to buy a new laptop in the near future, and I'm strongly
considering a Thinkpad R series. I'm looking at a custom one with these
specs:

o  1.3Ghz pentium M
o  Cisco Aironet wireless
o  1400x1050 display (15")
o  ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 video
o  plain old CDROM drive
o  1394 Port
o  ultrabay battery (2nd battery)

I didn't see any R Series listed on IBM's linux certified page, so I thought
I'd ask if there are any linux compatibility issues with the above hardware?
I have some specific questions. I apologize if some of these questions are
irrelevant, this is the first laptop I've ever bought.

o  Does the video hardware work OK? Under linux, I'm only interested in 2D.

o  If I run at a run at a resolution less than the native, will the display
be scaled out, or will there be a black border?

o  Does the 1394 hardware work?

o  And the audio hardware?

o  Will linux use the battery power efficiently (as efficiently as similar
useage in XP at least)?

And last, do Thinkpads (and specifically the R-Series) have any vents or
fans on the bottom? My current old laptop has an exhaust fan on the bottom
which must be kept clear, so I can't set it on any soft surface without
putting it on a book or binder. I consider that to be a major design flaw
and hope Thinkpads don't suffer from that.

Thanks in advance