[ltp] Re:R Series

Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:34:31 -0400

> >>o  1.3Ghz pentium M
> >>o  Cisco Aironet wireless
> >>o  1400x1050 display (15")
> >>o  ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 video
> >>o  plain old CDROM drive
> >>o  1394 Port
> >>o  ultrabay battery (2nd battery)
>
> Ultrabay-batteries are reported to have issues with the R-series
> notebooks (not operational due to missing hardware-plug).
>
> I don't know if this is true, I just haven't noticed any change in
> runtime upon inserting a charged ultrabay-bat in my R32 (running SuSE
> 8.1 with APM-mode (ACPI won't work correctly).
>
> Beside that, they are expensive, see also older postings regarding
> ultrabay-batteries.

Thanks for the advice... It seems the ultrabay battery will work in the
model I'm interested in (an R40), but after reading that thread and some
other benchmarks, I think I'll forget about the extra battery. Not enough
bang for US$190.

> >>o  Does the video hardware work OK? Under linux, I'm only interested in 2D.
>
> Runs ok, 3D-acceleration is also there (radeon-driver) and is stable
> with XFree 4.3 (2D is stable with XFree4.2) although the 'acceleration'
> is not really substantial (can't do serious gaming or fast OpenGL-display).

When you say the 3D acceleration isn't that great, are you talking of
XFree's support, or the hardware itself? I do plan on running some games
occasionally in XP (dual boot), but I'm not a really serious gamer. If it
will run, say, UT2003 at 800x600 at 30+ FPS, then that will be fine with me.

Thanks
-Steve