[ltp] problems with eth0

Seth Kulick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 02:04:28 -0400

Hi,

I'm no linux or network wiz, so I'm hoping somebody here can help me out
with this.

Here's the situation:  I have a dual-boot XP/RH8.0 T30, and
this morning I booted up into linux as usual, plugged in the ethernet cable
and went into network device control and activated eth0. It came up as
"active", and all seemed fine, but I was unable to ssh or connect to the
web at all.

I booted up into XP and the connection was okay.  So I copied down all
the relevant info (IP address, subnet mask, default gateway), went back
into linux, and changed the configuration of eth0 under "general" to
"statically set IP address" setting instead of optaining IP addresses with
dhcp.  I put in for the address, subnet, and default gateway the info
I had gotten from windows.

And now it works fine.

So it seems that somehow dhcp is not reinitializing the IP addresses
properly.  Anybody have any suggestions regarding this?
The only thing I can think of that changed is that I did have an
unclean shutdown yesterday and  a few inodes were repaired upon the next boot.
But I can't remember if I had any problems connecting to the network after
that.

Is there some configuration file or something that might have gotten
corrupted, or something that I need to reinitialize?  I can go looking
into ifup and tracing everything through and seeing what I can find, but
I'm hoping somebody might have an idea as to what's going on, or at least
where would be a good place to look.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Seth Kulick
skulick@linc.cis.upenn.edu