[ltp] External Video on T30

Matthias Posseldt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 16:30:55 +0200

On Monday 02 June 2003 15:35, Diego Zamboni wrote:
> > Is there an Easy wy for me to switch between my current configuration and
> > a configuration where I am using my LCD (laptop) Display only.
> >
> > I know I can switch the XF86Config files back and forth, but something
> > from within X, once it was started would be ideal.
>
> I imagine there must be a way to configure two X servers, one with
> Xinerama and one without, and switch between them with Ctrl-Alt-F7 and
> Ctrl-Alt-F8. The last time I tried, though, I couldn't get it to work.

With "startx -- vt 8" or similar.

> What I currently do is I have Xinerama enabled all the time. When I
> undock my laptop, the right half of my screens is not visible, but I can
> move windows using my desktop pager (I'm using KDE) to bring them to the
> visible half.
[...]

You may try the XRANDR extension from XFree 4.3. It supports switching
resolution at run time, maybe it also works for Xinerama. I don't know though
because I don't have Xinerama enabled. QT supports it with some patches, and
native in QT 3.2 (beta). KDE has a kcmxrandr module in CVS (kdenonbeta).

Ciao, Matthias

--
Keine Software-Patente in der EU

http://swpat.ffii.org/patente/muster/index.de.html