[ltp] Reserving disk drive identities?

Theodore Ts'o linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 15:57:07 -0400

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 06:55:51PM +0100, Richard Neill wrote:
> >For the hard disks, you could use e2labels if you use ext2 or ext3.
> >Using tune2fs -L <name> /dev/sda1 (for example) you can give sda1 a
> >name. This name you can use in fstab like this:
> >
> >LABEL=<name>       /mnt           ext3     defaults  1    1
>
> Thanks. Unfortunately, the CF microdrive is FAT16 (so it will work in a
> pda), and the firewire device is ReiserFS. Is there something similar I
> can do? Is this actually The Right Way to do it?

The fsck driver will support ReiserFS and FAT16 labels, but
unfortunately mount hasn't yet been converted over to use the blkid
library.  It's on my todo list, although I don't know if the mount
maintainer will accept my patches after I send them to him.

In the meantime, you could manually mount things in an /etc/init.d
script (and remove the entry in /etc/fstab) via something like this:

mount -t reiserfs `blkid -t LABEL=reiser-label`  /mntpt/reiser

You'll need a relatively recent version of e2fsprogs (since blkid and
the libblkid library are part of e2fsprogs) in order for this to work.

					- Ted