[ltp] Re: tp600e cs4232

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 17:15:16 -0400

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 19:34:26 +0200 (DFT)
Fekete Gabor <feketga@delfin.klte.hu> wrote:

> ok! i found the battery, thanks goes for everyone.
> but can i exchange the old battery witha new one without soldering
> anything? because the battery that i could buy comes without that yellow
> plastic thing in which the original battery resides (and without those
> wires).
> other: the original battery is cr20something and the one i can buy is
> cr2032. do you think it would work?

I had to make an "emergency" repair on a Thinkpad 600 with a dead battery.
 I cut off the yellow plastic, removed the wires from the dead battery
(using a jeweler's screwdriver to pry the little metal contact plates
from the old battery, and hooked them to the new battery with a
little heatshrink tubing.  You could probably get a better connection with
a bit of solder, but you want to avoid getting the battery TOO hot.
Plus, I didn't have a soldering iron handy anyway...

This was a few months ago, and the laptop's worked fine since.  I had to
do this because the Thinkpad wouldn't even BOOT with the dead battery and
I needed to get at some stuff on the machine RIGHT THEN.

Needless to say, this probably voids the h*ll out of your warranty. :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/