[ltp] problem with thinkpad ACP Modem

George Jiang linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 05 Jun 2003 15:16:33 -0600

Hello:

   I've a problem when I want to start the modem. Here is the detailed
process and the problem:

--- Linux version:   The linux version is RedHat Linux 9 (shrik, kernel
2.4.20) ; it contains the module mwave.o   ;   My laptop is thinkpad 600.

--- Process:           First I read the  Linux ACP Modem (Mwave) mini-HOWTO
(http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/other-formats/html_single/ACP-Modem.html)
to make myself prepared for the installation.  Then I use ps2.exe to adjust
the IRQs for the Modem, and use the command  "insmod mwave"  to load the ACP
device driver. But I got the information "IRQ/IO conflicts".     So I
checked the /proc/interrupts,  ran ps2.exe again to make sure there are no
resource conflicts, and ran "insmod mwave". This time the module was
inserted successfully (I used "lsmod" and saw it there).

--- Problem:         But when I ran "mwavem" to execute the application (
just as I read in the Linux ACP Modem (Mwave) mini-HOWTO), I got "there is
no command mwavem".  I use the "find ..." command to look for "mwavem", but
still couldn't find it.  So I suspect that there might be no such "mwavem"
command when I just load the module which is built into the kernel (because
I think if I build the module from the source files by myself, I should have
the "mwavem" command).      So I just ignore the "mwavem" command and go on
to "setserial /dev/ttyS1 autoconfig", "ln -s /dev/ttyS1 /dev/modem".  Then
use "minicom" for dialing. But unfortunately it seems the modem can't be
initialized and I can't connect to internet.

--- Question:  I am a new hand to linux, Would you please tell me anything
wrong with my process? and how to fix it?

I really look forward to making the ACP modem work earlier. Thank you!

   George