[ltp] T40, RedHat 9.0, 802.11b card, orinoco_pci module

otisg linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 00:08:25 -0400

Hello,

I have a TP T40 (mode: 2373-72U) with a built-in 802.11b card
(Intel PRO/Wireless Network Connection).  I have read in various
newsgroups that this card can be used with Orinoco drivers.
I am using RedHat 9.0.

When I try using the orinoco_pci module (insmod orinoco_pci), I
get error about unresolved symbols, such as:

  unresolved symbol orinoco_interrupt_R8ca3e787
  unresolved symbol orinoco_dev_init_...
  unresolved symbol orinoco_proc_dev_cleanup

I have also gotten erros like the following when I tried 'ifdown
or ifup eth1':

  orinoco_pci.o: init_module: No such device
  Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

Does anyone know what it takes to get the Wi-Fi card integrated
into T40 working under Linux?  Would some other driver work
better?
RH 9 comes with 2.4.20 kernel.  Would some other, newer kernel
work better?

I have set up all other files:
  - created /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
  - added 'alias eth1 orinoco_pci' line to /etc/modules.conf

If anyone can share any information about this, I would be very
grateful.

Thank you,
Otis
P.S.
I can insmod orinoco, but I think I need orinoco_pci.  A
colleague got his T30, which is not Centrino, working with
orinoco_pro.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag