[ltp] problem with thinkpad ACP Modem

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 10:22:25 -0400

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 04:54:32 -0600
"George Jiang" <thinkpad_linux@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi thanks ! I've got it to work.  but I  have a question: if we still
> need to install the software and build the module by ourselves even when
> the module is built into the Linux kernel, why did people build the
> module into the Linux kernel?

Other people have already answered this, but here's my take:  It means
that you don't have to install the kernel source, configure it, and build
the module yourself.  You don't need any kernel source installed to just
build the mwave manager, so it means you can use those megabytes for other
things.  On one of my systems with an mwave and a 4 gig drive, that's
significant.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/