[ltp] Mandrake 9.1 redhat-sndconfig bug

David R. Griffiths linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 07 Jun 2003 12:20:20 +1000

Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I finished installing Mandrake 9.1 last week so I have have a week to
play
> with the configuration and experience the features.
>
> Thanks
>
> Linux Md 9.1 looks great and operates superiorly with out, so far, any
major
> glitches appearing. Much much nicer than Md 9.0.

I have a Thinkpad 380z and Mandrake 9.1 ran very nicely on it but I
couldn't get the sound configured for 4 months (with 9.0 before 9.1)

The CS4237b is not detected, pnpdump shows nothing so can't load alsa.
redhat-sndconfig allows you to set it up manually.  The test sound file
worked but Midi and wave would not play, but music cds did.  I got boot
up error notices no sybthio or synthirq, so tried
editing /etc/modules.conf directly without success.

After hours and hours, I suddenly thought to install redhat 7.2 which I
had data on from a web search.  Bingo, the same settings of redhat-
sndconfig that didn't work in Mandrake worked.

Curiously the only utility which did find the card was lothar
soundconfig from Mandrake 7.0, but that was earlier than the machine so
it loaded the wrong driver.

Regards,
David.