[ltp] TP 120m, RFID and ACPI

Julien Danjou linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 17:30:23 +0200

Hello,

A week ago, I decided to test 2.5 kernel on my ThinkPad A20m. It seems
to me a good idea. Oh, well...
Since one year, I used APM and it works great, it was fabulous. But with
the come of 2.5, I decided to see what ACPI could do. And I saw...

After running 2.5 during a few hours, my systems began to be very
unstable, and to freeze. I though it was because the weather was
hot... So I powered it off.
A few hours later, I powered it again. Afeter some minutes of usage, it
begins to reboot itself !? and to freez in less than 15 minutes. After 2
ou 3 reboot, I got this awful error message after the IBM Logo:
0189 - Invalid RFID Configuration Information Area
So I tried to flash bios, but this did nothing. I discovered on this
mailling list that pressing esc was useful. And it is ! But my system is
always unstable with 2.4.20 and APM.
Some times it freezes during RAM checking :-(

I have tried the maintenance diskette, but it seems there is nothing
useful for me.
In BIOS, the UUID is (since I had this error): ffffffff-fff-fff-ffff
(only f, I did not care how many.)
If I try to set another UUID, the IBM program says that there is already
an UUID...

A last thing. With ACPI, I can get the temperature, and it seems that if
I do a very useful things which uses lot of CPU, the temperature grows
to 80°C and I do not hear the fan be on...

I am totaly afraid. Have someone an idea ?
Of course, the warranty is expired...

--
Julien Danjou

· http://jdanjou.org                   <julien@jdanjou.org> ·
· GnuPG: 9A0D 5FD9 EB42 22F6 8974  C95C A462 B51E C2FE E5CD ·