[ltp] Workspace switcher function keys on T30

Glyn Kennington linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 21:44:59 +0100

Whil Hentzen wrote:
> I can't figure out how to switch from one workspace to another via the
> keyboard.

What window manager/desktop environment are you using (eg KDE, Gnome,
enlightenment, IceWM)?  The commands to change workspace will be mentioned
in the documentation for those.

> The only combo that does anything is Ctrl-Alt-F2,
> which throws me into a shell login (full screen) that I can't get out of
> cuz I don't know that many shell commands.

That is one of the virtual terminals, (a.k.a. consoles).  You can leave X
and reach a virtual terminal by typing Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-F2, etc.
Normally, you can return to X by typing F7, without needing to log in at
all.

> Is this possible on this combo of hw/sw, and if so, what are the magic
> words?

I don't think it's anything to do with the hardware.  If Ctrl-Alt-F2 is
doing what you describe, it sounds like your keyboard is working perfectly.

Glyn

--
You know I will obey
So please don't make me beg