[ltp] Questions/Pointers for ThinkPad 600 Model 2645-21u

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
10 Jun 2003 21:07:21 +0200

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 20:58, Ross Patterson wrote:
> > 2) What Linux distros do TP600 users recommend?
>
> Red Hat 7.2, and 7.3 have worked fine for us.

Debian woody also works well.

> > 5) Do we have stable PCMCIA support for the TP600? What's needed to get
> > it to run?

The standard support (i.e., that shipped with the kernel)
works well in general, but the drivers for particular card
vary in quality.

> > 7) Does this wacky eraser-tip-stuck-in-the-keyboard-mouse work in X?

Yes.

> > 8) Is there any reason to do DOS on this thing or can I wipe the whole
> > drive and just do Linux?
>
> Many of the ThinkPad system facilities are controlled by a program running on
> the laptop instead of by user-changeable BIOS settings.  The DOS version of
> this program, PS2.EXE, can do things that the Linux equivalent (tpctl) can't.

Also, you need a FAT16 partition if you want firmware
hibernation to work.  Also, it is handy to keep Windows stuff
around if you want to play with VMware or Wine later on.

For more info, see my "Debian GNU/Linux on a ThinkPad 600 or 600X" page:
http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm
The server is down today but should be up again by tomorrow.
--
Thomas Hood <jdthood2@yahoo.co.uk>