[ltp] ibm recovery program with multiple partitions

René Bastian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:05:27 +0200

Le Mercredi 11 Juin 2003 09:50, Thomas Marquart a écrit :
> > I am the owner of a R40, and currently I have two partitions on it:
> > 18Gig for Windows XP and 17Gig for GNU/Linux.

and ~ 4 Gig for the recovery ?

> > I used the ntfs resize tools to resize the ntfs file system when I got
> > the laptop. I couldn't make it any smaller because Windows had put
> > some files on the 17Gig border.
>
> same was here, on my R40.
> (in the meantime I wiped Win completely)
>
> > Now I want to make the Windows partition much smaller. E.g. 3Gig.
> >
> > Can I first remove the ntfs partition, make a vfat partition of 3Gig
> > and use the recovery feature?

in my case, the recovery did work with the damaged ntfs partition :
the recovery worked in two times ; at the first re-boot af win-xp
it seemed to install a provisory version and the "good" version
after the 2d re-boot.

> > Will the recovery feature leave my other partitions alone and will it
> > install on the 3Gig partition?

I tkink the partition for win-xp should be greater.

> I doubt this will work.
> the recovery feature works by having the recovery data hidden somewhere on
> the harddisk. You may already have overwritten parts of it. At least in my
> case I had to disable the recovery after resizeing to e able to boot.
> Even if recovery still works it will _wipe out_ everything and restore the
> _entire_ harddisk to its original state - your linux partitions would be
> gone, as far as I know.

in my case (R40) :
no, not the entire harddisk, but only the partition which contains
the mbr (/dev/hda1) - I reinstalled lilo after the win-xp "revolution"

I utilized knoppix3.2 (knx-hdinstall) and adapted to my needs
with the Debian 3.0 dvd :
the system speeks german, the man pages speek english
and KDE speeks french ;
but it is a quasi true Debian installation : with "apt-get install"
I could install some softs from the Debian 3.0r0 dvd.

btw : after some minutes without keyboard input, the R40 goes to
sleep but he comes back with the SPC key

the "moon"-key acts like a toggle : sleep <-> awake (no problem)

I get a complete shutdown as root : "shutdown -h now"

> For more info, see here:
> http://tom.uni-hd.de/thinkpad-r40.html
> where I summarized my experiences with Debian on the R40.
>
> thomas

> * thomas marquart * tom@uni-hd.de * http://tom.uni-hd.de *

René Bastian
http://www.musiques-rb.org : Musique en Python