[ltp] ibm recovery program with multiple partitions

Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:20:43 +0200

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 08:05:27 +0200, René Bastian wrote:

[...]

> in my case (R40) :
> no, not the entire harddisk, but only the partition which contains
> the mbr (/dev/hda1) - I reinstalled lilo after the win-xp "revolution"

The MBR is always in the boot block of the hard disk, not in a
partition. I read somewhere that only the first primary partition will
be affected by the recovery, any additional partitions will be kept.
YMMV.

> I utilized knoppix3.2 (knx-hdinstall) and adapted to my needs
> with the Debian 3.0 dvd :
> the system speeks german, the man pages speek english
> and KDE speeks french ;
> but it is a quasi true Debian installation : with "apt-get install"
> I could install some softs from the Debian 3.0r0 dvd.

This will very likely fail in the future due to the unofficial (read:
not from Debian) packages in Knoppix, escpecially XFree86 and KDE.

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG