[ltp] Ad-hoc 802.11b internet access

Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:40:10 +0300

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 08:48:27AM -0400, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> I want to get access to the internet from the PDA.
> [...]
>=20
> Has anyone done something like this?  It's called "Internet Connection
> Sharing" on Windows.  Some sources call it NAT, some invoke ipmasq, or
> masquerading.

IP masquerading is, loosely speaking, the same thing as NAT.

> I don't have an 802.11b gateway/router, it has to go by the pathway
> listed above.
>=20
> I run Debian Woody/stable, with some backports of packages like
> OpenOffice.org, sane 1.0.11, etc.  Kernel is 2.4.18.  Internet access
> from the Thinkpad is working fine.

Just installing the ipmasq package ought to be enough.  Then all you
need to do is to set the gateway on your PDA to point to your notebook,
and DNS to your ISPs DNS server (you can find its address in
/etc/resolv.conf).  If you also install bind9, then you can use your
notebook as the DNS server.  Again, zero configuration required on the
notebook side.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Eagleson's Law:
        Any code of your own that you haven't looked at for six or more
        months, might as well have been written by someone else.  (Eagleson
        is an optimist, the real number is more like three weeks.)

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB--