[ltp] ibm recovery program with multiple partitions

Rudy Gevaert linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:14:54 +0200

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 08:05:27AM +0200, René Bastian wrote:
> Le Mercredi 11 Juin 2003 09:50, Thomas Marquart a écrit :
> > > I am the owner of a R40, and currently I have two partitions on it:
> > > 18Gig for Windows XP and 17Gig for GNU/Linux.
>
> and ~ 4 Gig for the recovery ?

Yep

> > > Will the recovery feature leave my other partitions alone and will it
> > > install on the 3Gig partition?
>
> I tkink the partition for win-xp should be greater.

Isn't 3Gig enough?  I do not know how much it needs.  I'm been running
GNU/Linux alone for the last 3 years, and my only knowledge is
Windows98.

I'm leaving WindowsXP on it because I'll need it for some school work
next year.

> > I doubt this will work.
> > the recovery feature works by having the recovery data hidden somewhere on
> > the harddisk. You may already have overwritten parts of it. At least in my
> > case I had to disable the recovery after resizeing to e able to boot.
> > Even if recovery still works it will _wipe out_ everything and restore the
> > _entire_ harddisk to its original state - your linux partitions would be
> > gone, as far as I know.

I still have the recovery partition and I have the recovery cd's.

> in my case (R40) :
> no, not the entire harddisk, but only the partition which contains
> the mbr (/dev/hda1) - I reinstalled lilo after the win-xp "revolution"

So my plan should work...?

Rudy
--
Rudy Gevaert                rudy@zeus.UGent.be
Web page                    http://www.webworm.org

I think it would be a good idea.
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948), when asked what he thought of
Western civilization