[ltp] display, cursor, keyboard hang, T40, RH9

Neil Weisenfeld linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
11 Jun 2003 15:19:15 -0400

Not sure about all of the hdparm options, but I believe that you can
make your life unhappy by trying random things, so I'd do some research
if you want to make other adjustments.

If the I/O controller hub was not properly recognized by the kernel, you
will not be able to enable DMA using hdparm.

Prior to patching the kernel to properly recognize the I/O controller
hub chip and to provide DMA disk access, I found the machine almost
completely unusable interactively if you were doing heavy disk access.

Despite what Fabrice has said, recent kernel updates from RedHat have
recognized the new ICH4-M (82801DBM) fine (sorry Fabrice!)  At the very
least 2.4.20-18.9 from RedHat works out of the box.  RedHat very
specfically added patches in response to a customer bugreport about
things not working properly on a Dell Pentium M laptop.

Now, with all of that said I'll probably post something soon about the
serious stability problems that *I'm* having with my T40p, but I think
that I may just have a hardware issue.

Regards,
neil