[ltp] T40: installation report

Fabrice Bellet linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:42:29 +0200

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 09:01:44PM +0200, PSI-Systems wrote:
> Does this mean on your site that even with setting values in
> /proc/acpi/processor/CPU/performance you never get the processor clocking
> to the highest speed?

I made some more tests, and what previously confused me is that the state
is not properly initialized when the kernel module is loaded. The initial
value given by /proc/acpi/processor/CPU/performance is always P0
(the maximum performance level), whatever the real processor state may be.

Later, modifiying this value has the expected behaviour, and
allows me to alter the CPU available power. On a sample application,
the elapsed user time ranges from 4.3s in P0 mode, to 11.3s in P5 mode.

Moreover, today on the LKML, I read this message stating that
a free driver for enhanced speedstep has been written for
the 2.5 kernel series :
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0306.1/1004.html

best wishes,
--