[ltp] memory problems ?

Glyn Kennington linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:46:16 +0100

Gerard van Winssen wrote:
> If I remember well a stock kernel can handle up to 1gig memory, for more you
> need another kernel. You have 1024 mb now.

This depends on your definition of a `gig'.  It's easier for a computer to
work in terms of 1024 than 1000, so the kernel limit is probably 1024.

However, hardware manufacturers are keen on using the decimal limits, as a
hard drive of capacity 40007729152 bytes is only 37.26 binary Gb, but can be
called 40Gb (40.0077) under decimal definitions.

> Maybe you can tell the kernel at boottime you have only 999 mb, in lilo at
> the append line.
> Maybe someone else can jump in here.

I suspect this won't make any difference whatsoever.  Though I'm not an
authority on such matters...

Glyn

--
Political scientists get the same one vote as some Arkansas inbred.