[ltp] T40: installation report

Steve Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:23:09 -0400

Fabrice Bellet wrote:
> I've been told that the keyboard needs to be removed to access the main memory
> chip. I don't feel confortable with this operation...

The operation is documented in one of the online manuals for the
model on IBM's website.

> Asking IBM to change their supposed culprit memory chip is tedious too,
> because no memory problems are detected by their own diagnostic program
> (pc-doctor).

It's worth checking; there may be a period where you can return
something no questions asked.

>So it's easy for them to hide behind the curtain, by saying
> that linux and memtest86 are not supported on this laptop.

It's not hiding.  IBM tested a laptop with certain OSes,
sold that laptop saying it supported those OSes, and
you bought it knowing only those OSes were supported.

Besides, there's at least the possibility that Linux isn't
handling something correctly, right?

Steve
--
http://www.stevebarr.com