[ltp] T40p graphics + heat buildup

Valient Gough linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
15 Jun 2003 19:21:31 -0700

--=-B3u25catkuohGnu+GAyQ

I have a T40p (model 2373-G1U), running SuSE 8.2.  I am seeing a problem
that appears to be due to heat buildup.  When it is warm outside, say
high 70's or low 80's (I have no air conditioning), then I start to see
display problems, which get worse the more demand is put on the graphics
card.  The whole screen begins to jump around as if it is loosing sync.
It stops immediatly if I reduce the graphics workload, and it goes away
when it is cooler (such as when the laptop is first started, or in
cooler ambient temperatures).

I've noticed this both under XFree86 4.3, and Accelerated-X.  It was far
worse under XFree86, and would show up even with 2d graphics when just
moving around windows or even just moving the mouse between windows to
cause repaints.  I found a workaround which was to switch to 16bpp
graphics.

I recently switched to Accelerated-X, which has been great and
eliminated most of the problems I had with this computer.  3d
acceleration now works wonderfully, and I can reliably suspend/resume
using APM while running X, and when it restartes even my USB mouse is
correctly re-initialized.  I haven't seen any screen display problems
until today when I was running a 3d billiards program (FooBilliard).
I've run it several times without problems, but today it is about 80
degrees in here and when I run FooBilliard, the screen starts to jitter
just like it used to under XFree86.   A full-screen 3d intensive program
like FooBilliard must put substantial work on the graphics system, and
it shows.

All evidence I've seen so far indicates that it is directly related to
operating temperature.  Has anyone else noticed anything like this?  I
expect I will have to contact IBM to request some sort of replacement
parts, but I'm wondering if other people have experienced this, possibly
indicating a design flaw of insufficient heat dissipation for the
graphics card, rather then marginal parts.

regards,
Valient Gough

--=-B3u25catkuohGnu+GAyQ

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>
I have a T40p (model 2373-G1U), running SuSE 8.2.&nbsp; I am seeing a problem that appears to be due to heat buildup.&nbsp; When it is warm outside, say high 70's or low 80's (I have no air conditioning), then I start to see display problems, which get worse the more demand is put on the graphics card.&nbsp; The whole screen begins to jump around as if it is loosing sync.&nbsp; It stops immediatly if I reduce the graphics workload, and it goes away when it is cooler (such as when the laptop is first started, or in cooler ambient temperatures).<BR>
<BR>
I've noticed this both under XFree86 4.3, and Accelerated-X.&nbsp; It was far worse under XFree86, and would show up even with 2d graphics when just moving around windows or even just moving the mouse between windows to cause repaints.&nbsp; I found a workaround which was to switch to 16bpp graphics.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
I recently switched to Accelerated-X, which has been great and eliminated most of the problems I had with this computer.&nbsp; 3d acceleration now works wonderfully, and I can reliably suspend/resume using APM while running X, and when it restartes even my USB mouse is correctly re-initialized.&nbsp; I haven't seen any screen display problems until today when I was running a 3d billiards program (FooBilliard).&nbsp; I've run it several times without problems, but today it is about 80 degrees in here and when I run FooBilliard, the screen starts to jitter just like it used to under XFree86.&nbsp;&nbsp; A full-screen 3d intensive program like FooBilliard must put substantial work on the graphics system, and it shows.<BR>
<BR>
All evidence I've seen so far indicates that it is directly related to operating temperature.&nbsp; Has anyone else noticed anything like this?&nbsp; I expect I will have to contact IBM to request some sort of replacement parts, but I'm wondering if other people have experienced this, possibly indicating a design flaw of insufficient heat dissipation for the graphics card, rather then marginal parts.<BR>
<BR>
regards,<BR>
Valient Gough<BR>
<BR>