[ltp] T40p graphics + heat buildup

Valient Gough linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
15 Jun 2003 20:36:31 -0700

--=-ZqGBc9QPHtdTxBWEUukt

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 19:44, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 07:21:31PM -0700, Valient Gough wrote:
> >
> > I have a T40p (model 2373-G1U), running SuSE 8.2.  I am seeing a problem
> > that appears to be due to heat buildup.  When it is warm outside, say
> > high 70's or low 80's (I have no air conditioning), then I start to see
> > display problems, which get worse the more demand is put on the graphics
> > card.  The whole screen begins to jump around as if it is loosing sync.
> > It stops immediatly if I reduce the graphics workload, and it goes away
> > when it is cooler (such as when the laptop is first started, or in
> > cooler ambient temperatures).
>
> I haven't noticed it myself, although I tend to get cranky and touchy
> myself when it gets into the low 80's, so I haven't necessarily
> operated the laptop in the conditions such as your (I *do* have air
> conditioning :-).
>
> The only thing I have noticed is random lockups from time to time
> where the X server locks up and needs to be restarted.  But that's
> probably an XFree86 4.3 bug....
>
> 						- Ted

I think I've seen your XFree86 config file - do you run in 16bpp mode?
I only recall seeing the problem in 24bpp mode with XFree.

regards,
Valient

PS.  I've updated my page with info about the graphics card problems -
http://www.pobox.com/~vgough/suse-t40p.html

Linux-laptop.net still hasn't processed my submit last month for this
page, so I guess it is a lesson in patience.

--=-ZqGBc9QPHtdTxBWEUukt

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>